SC - NRW Feast final menu

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 11 21:23:09 PDT 2001

Only three days to go, and I have finalized the menu!  Here it is:

THE MENU:
OPENING:   "It has come to our attention that this event occurs during two
great religious festivals, that of Lent for the Catholics and Passover for
the Jews.  We have investigated the food restrictions for each group and
will be able to accommodate them in our preparations.  Please note that for
each course, we offer the Lenten dishes and the Passover dishes separately.
However, we leave it to the diners to choose those dishes which are most
appropriate to their religious requirements, and for those not under any
restrictions, we invite you to sample all the dishes as you will."

ON TABLES:  Unleavened bread (purchased matzoh), regular bread, butter (for
non-Lent  observers), olive oil (if possible), hard-boiled eggs, dried and
fresh fruits and nuts.

FIRST COURSE:

LENTEN:    Greyn Pesen - peas, bread, herbs, vegetable broth  [for Lent,
based upon a recipe in Epulario, 1598]

Salade - lettuces, parsley, herbs, vinegar, oil  [Forme of Curye,
14th-Century]

PASSOVER:    Chicken in Hotchee (made as soup) - Chicken, grapes, garlic,
herbs  [Forme of Curye, 14th-Century]

Livyre Puddings (chicken liver pate) - chicken liver, crumbs, fat, currants,
nutmeg    [Good Hous-wives Treasurie, 1588]  (NOTE: may inadvertently
contain crumbs of almonds)

 SECOND COURSE:

LENTEN:    Vegetable Soup - cabbage, onions, fennel, etc., plus herbs
[several sources, depending upon which vegetable(s) is/are available]

 Roasted carrots - carrots, oil, herbs  [from Apicius]

PASSOVER: Stewed Beef - beef brisket, carrots, prunes [Good Huswife's
Jewell, 1596]

Funges (mushrooms and leeks) - mushrooms, leeks, vegetable or beef broth
[Forme of Curye, 14th-Century]

BOTH: Roasted apples and pears [Elinor Fettiplace's Receipt Book, 1604]

THIRD COURSE:

LENTEN:    A Cooked Dish of Lentils - lentils, onion, spices [Andalusian
Cookbook, 13th Century]

 Fried Wortes or Spinach - spinach or greens, oil, spices [Baghdad
Cookery -OR-  Harl 4016 of Two Fifteenth-Century Cokery Bookes]

PASSOVER:   Stewed Lamb - lamb, lemon, currants, vinegar, spices, sugar
[A Book of Cookrye, 1591]

Rootes (baked sweet potatoes) - sweet potatoes, orange juice, rosewater,
spice [Elinor Fettiplace's Receipt Book, 1604]

BOTH: Berries with almond cream ("trifle for Lent" after Good Huswife's
Jewel, 1596) and nuts

BEVERAGES:  Lemonade, water

- --------------------

The almond cream is soaking (two bread bowls worth!), and the chicken pate
is made.  Since chicken livers can look pretty gross if you're not used to
them, I decided to do that one in advance.  I'll have to add the currants
tomorrow, as I could not find them at the store I visited, thought I had
some at home, and no.......

So far, a number of items are coming in under projections.  Hurrah!  This
meant I could go with the lamb dish even though it costs quite a bit down
here (as compared to Chicago where I used to live, when it would be cheaper
than beef this time of year).  That adds more variety to the menu.

I'll give a final report next week.  A few persons have said nice things
when sending their reservations, so I hope the meal lives up to
expectations!

I'm also cooking breakfasts and lunch for the assorted Royals who will be
there (and autocrat staff).  Those will be one-choice and no short-order, to
save myself grief.  Hot cereal and fruit the first breakfast, french toast
(or matzoh brei) and fruit compote the second.  Probably roast chicken, cold
roast beef, cheese, bread, and fruit for lunch.  Cookies if I think of them,
or maybe a cake.  I figure the cooking staff has to eat, and making cereal
for one or cereal for twelve are about the same in effort.

                                        ---= Morgan