SC - tart apples

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Apr 11 21:30:06 PDT 2001

Elizabeth said:
> If you want to do it this time of year, you may have to substitute
> tart apples for the quinces--the result comes out similar, and apples
> are available year-round, unlike quinces.

I saw quinces only once this year and that was back in December at my
specialty grocery store (HEB's Central Market).

I do see a number of different apples at my local grocery store and
even more at Central Market. But I have no idea which would be the
"tart" ones. Any suggestions?

Hmmm, those of you with access to the dictionaries, is there any
connection between "tart" as used above as a taste description and
"tart" as a pastry?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net