SC - special needs OOP

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 15 12:51:43 PDT 2001

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> >No, all persons are not expected to participate in every SCA>activity, however, they certainly should have the option of
>doing so.

I'm sorry, there goes one of -my- buttons.

While I more than agree with the principles on site accessibility in the rest of your response to Ras' comment, do you really mean that, in actual practice, the heavy fighters should be required to include the
wheelchair-mobile in the lists?

In my Kingdom, boffers have been turned into a highly regulated and
regimented operation, complete with Kingdom level officers and all the
attendant bureaucracy, I believe because one person with a delicate child wanted him to be able to play.

Instead of getting her child a helmet, the PCers took off, and now
"playing" with boffers is no longer allowed.  It's all competition level, "training to be fighters", helmets, ADULT marshals, etc.  No more just playing among 6-yr olds with lengths of plumbing-pipe-insulation foam or swimming-pool float foam, which is about the weight and degree of stiffness of the old fashioned boffers I recall. > > > > > >

Free access doesn;t always mean however one wants to do it whenever one wants to do it.  If you are referring to Youth Combat adoption in your kindom, that is often different from 'boffer playing'.  Unless there are regulations in the Kingdom Law or Corpora regarding this play your child wishes to engage in, then you have grounds to actively pursue through the officers responsible for such things the allowance of your child's play.  If it isn't worth the effort, then maybe the organized sport will be enjoyable for him.  I hope you do find resolution.

FOOD CONTENT:  youth can be tuaght campfire cooking rather easily and at fairly young age, if we take the modern Scouting programs and guidleines as a model.  Not as Law, but a starting point to show a way to do it.