SC - Non-member submission - RE: Special needs

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 16 12:43:40 PDT 2001

>Most of the sites that we have available to us in
>Gleann Abhann  are not handicap accessable. The
>worst of these tend to be the state parks.
>How can we be held responsible for the inaccessiaability
>of State Property?  We were had to use only handicap
>friendly sites most of us would not be able to hold
>events.

>Our shire birthday is held in a horse pasture.
>The only toilets are portalets.
>There is no way we could alter the accomodations.

Speaking as a special needs person - check with the
business you rent the plastic potties from, several
sites I've been to lately have had handicapped potties.
Great for people who don't need them, they're big
enough to change clothes in if you have to.

Also, the event I went to this weekend had plastic
potties to augment the flush toilets on site.  My
problem was needing to be near the feast hall, and the
water pump went on the fritz, so the flush toilet
didn't work until after noon on Saturday.  The only
portapottie I could see was, well, a long way off,
up the hill from the hall.

Liadan