SC - Roasted Chickpeas?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 16 21:39:55 PDT 2001

>A friend recently sent me this recipe and asked me a question about it.  It
>calls for toasted chickpeas.  She has dried chickpeas, and wondered what to
>do with them.   Roasting the dried chickpeas and then grinding them into a
>flour?  Re-hydrating them and then toasting them?  She ultimately used
>sesame seeds instead and had them with her this weekend. They were very
>good, but we are still wondering about those garbanzos.
>Anyone?
>Christianna
>
>Hulwa (Ibn al-Mabrad p.19): Its varieties are many. Among them are the
>sweets made of natif. You put dibs [fruit syrup], honey, sugar or rubb
>[thick fruit syrup] in the pot, then you put it on a gentle fire and stir
>until it takes consistency. Then you beat eggwhite and put it with it and
>stir until it thickens and becomes natif. After that, if you want almond
>candy you put in toasted almonds and 'allaftahu; that is, you bind them.
>walnuts, pistachios, hazelnuts, toasted chickpeas, toasted sesame, flour.
>[apparently alternative versions]. You beat in the natif until thickens. For
>duhniyyah you put in flour toasted with fat. As for ... (other versions.)
>[end of original]

I believe the chickpeas are boiled first, then toasted - i've only
had them roasted with salt, although i suppose they could be done
unsalted. I'll try to remember to take a look through my old
vegetarian and Indian cookbooks and see if there's a recipe.

I used to hang out at an artists' bar in NYC (well, it was when i was
there in the late 1960's, it later achieved a great deal of notoriety
without me, Max's Kansas City) that had cups of roasted salted
chickpeas on the table to eat with your drinks.

I assume these are what the recipe calls for, since they're included
with other nuts and seeds.

Anahita