Dansk kogebog A: haerrae salsae (was: SC - On topic)

Nanna Rognvaldardottir nanna at idunn.is
Tue Apr 17 02:23:55 PDT 2001

ÚlfR wrote:

>I recently got my hands on a (borrowed) copy of Veirups "Til taffel hos
Kong
>Valdemar" (Systime A/S, Viborg, Denmark, 1994). This is supposedly the
>oldest surviving European cookbook (dated to 1300). Any comments?

Yes, this is the so-called Harpestreng manuscript (or rather, the two Danish
versions of it) that we have sometimes discussed - Stefan has a Harpestreng
file in his Florilegium.

>In particular I'm looking at the camelina recipie (though it calles it
>"hærræ salsæ" -- "lords sauce" -- it is to my mind pretty clearly a
>camelina). Apart from the usual camelina spices (cloves, nutmeg, pepper,
>cinnamon, and ginger) it also has cardamons. Has anyone seen that in any
>other camelina recipie?

Got to be the Scandinavian influence. - This is the Lord's Sauce (if you
make it into a sauce) or Lord's Salt (if you make a preserving mixture) that
is sometimes mentioned here.

>The original recipie:

>Quomodo temperetur salsum dominorum et quam diu durat
>Man skal takæ gørfærs nathlaæ. oc muskat. cardemomum. piper. cinamomum
>thæt ær kaniæl. oc ingifær. allæ iæfn wæghnæ. tho swa at kaniæl ær æm
>mykæt sum allæ hinæ andræ. oc slyk tu stekt brøth sum allæ hinæ andræ.
>oc støtæ thæm alla samæn. oc malæ mæth stærk ædykæ oc latæ .i. en
>leghæl. That ær hærræ salsæ. oc ær goth et halft aar.

Shouldn't it be "gørfærs naghlaæ", not "gørfærs nathlaæ"? (but maybe not,
the book is at home and I'm at work, so I'm quoting from memory).

Nanna