SC - horseradish root

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 19 08:39:29 PDT 2001

On 19 Apr 01,, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> And the recipe for that is......??????
>
> I apologize if you've already published it, but I had to ask ;-)
>
> Kiri

I thought I'd sent it to the list previously, but maybe not.  Vincente
has kindly provided the translation of the original, which does not
differ significantly from mine, so I'll just add my redaction:

4 ounces	horseradish root, peeled and finely grated
1 slice		Italian or French bread, crusts trimmed, toasted
3 tablespoons	white wine vinegar
1/2  cup		honey
1/4 cup		water
1/2 teaspoon	black pepper

Peel and finely grate the horseradish root.   Place in the container of
a blender or food processor.  Soak the toasted bread in the vinegar.
Add to the horseradish.  Blend a moment until mixed.  For a hotter
sauce, wait 3 minutes before adding the bread and vinegar to the
horseradish.  For a less fiery sauce, add the vinegar promptly after
grating the horseradish.  Add the remaining ingredients, adjusting
as necessary for taste.  Add just enough water to make a smooth
sauce that is not too thin.  Just before serving, heat the sauce on low
heat until warm.  Do not boil.

If fresh horseradish root is unavailable, take a 6-oz jar of prepared
horseradish.  Empty the contents into a mesh sieve, and press
lightly with a spoon to drain off the excess liquid.  Reduce added
vinegar to 1 tablespoon.  Proceed as above.  This is not as pungent
as sauce made from fresh horseradish root.

Important note: Horseradish fumes are very strong.  Work
carefully in a well-ventilated area.  If your skin is sensitive, you
may wish to wear gloves while handling the horseradish root.
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
now at a new address: rcmann4 at earthlink.net