SC - Profit was Opinions?

micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Apr 19 09:52:55 PDT 2001

> This getting to be a big thing in little shires also. The shire I
belonged
> to in Missouri was Charged $750 for a school just to do Royal
University. It
> is getting outrageous, Unless you have Fairly wealthy members ready to
> donate the site fee, you can't possibly break even for the event let
alone
> the feast.  I fear that the high costs of sites may doom the SCA and
all
> like us in the end.   And don't think Churches will always welcome us,
many
> won't rent to us in Calontir because they don't want the Sunday setup
> disturbed.  Outdoors sites are best for cost but many groups can't
afford to
> buy or rent the burners for cooking outdoor feasts.

I think that the "we must make money" mindset stems from an older sca
where groups were not quite as rich as we once were. Call it old-school
thinking. Today (at least here in Ealdormere) we are a fairly well off
Kingdom. Our Canton also has a fairly hefty bank account as well. We
were very fortunate a couple of years ago to have a surplus of money
from an large event held annually in one of our Baronies. They made too
much money according to Corpora and this presented a problem. What they
did was gift all of our Baronies with an equal amount of money including
the travel fund set up for Royalty.

What I see happening is the concept of not spending the money we have.
Be it for regalia, travel, classes or whatever I see a blanket
hesitation to actually dip into these funds. We are a not for profit
organization and while I applaud the idea of having a little in the bank
for a rainy day, I see no need to always be regarding our events as
money making endeavours. Falling a little out of budget should not be
considered a failed event if the ideals of the sca are met and all are
well fed and come away feeling that the event was a good one for
everyone.

Halls ands such do cost. From what you are saying I am wondering if in
fact there is a problem with your area or your Autocrats. If you rent a
hall for say, $750. and expect a few hundred people I cannot see how you
would do anything but break even at the very least. That doesn't even
figure in the budget for feast etc. but then that should also be covered
by the feast fee.

My suggestion...have a small committee do a complete Site Search in your
immediate area (and update this annually). We did this a few years ago
and brought to light several surprises.

Being a small Kingdom perhaps this is not the "norm" for others but I
see this trend as a negative one in the pursuit of what were are all
really playing for.

Micaylah