SC - horseradish root

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Apr 19 23:28:50 PDT 2001

Kiri commented:
> I'm not sure about it growing milder.  I don't think it does, especially as it
> is stored refrigerated.  And I don't remember wasabi, a related condiment,
> getting any milder.

Wasabi does get milder. The more freshly made wasabi is, the hotter.
It can lose a noticable bit of its sharpness in the first day (hours?)
or so. The sharpness curve may well flatten out after that, though.

I've noticed resturant reviewers use the sharpness of the Wasabi
to say how fresh the sauce was.

> And you do know how to make a person drool, don't you???????

Over the food processor or the horseradish sauce?

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful info on horseradish. It looks
like it was only used as a sauce in period, and even then only
occasionally, so far. Expect to see a horseradish-msg file in the
Florielegium soon. Next time I'm at Central Market I'll see about
buying some of their (well, then it will be mine. :-) ) horseradish
root and try some of the recipes given here, both modern and period.
And I'll use the food processor. Which was also gotten after some of
the comments on this list. Unfortunately, it spends most of its time
in its box in the garage, but someday we will have another house and
a bigger kitchen.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net