SC - NRW Feast Recap - costing issue

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Sun Apr 22 12:09:00 PDT 2001

> The money still came from the event goers pockets. I wonder if they knew
> they were paying for the entourage as well as the Royalty? It's easy to
> say "But the entourage was working." So do a lot of other people at SCA
> events, but they don't get free meals.
> I still think the most equitable way to do such things is to ask for
> donations or pay for it yourself.

This is one of those wierdnesses of event budgeting. If you are budgeting
a lot of money-- enough that you are increasing your per-person cost to
account for it-- then, yes, you are taking money out of others' pockets.
This applies to supplies for children's activities, special equipment for
the tourney, archery targets, A&S competition or tourney prizes, feeding
the Royals, or even providing dayboard (since there are people who won't
eat it).  Of course, how much money you are taking depends on your
break-even numbers.

If your event makes money, the services to the Royals could be held to be
coming out of the profits. If the event loses money, they could be held to
be a donation from the group. *shrug* It's all accounting.

Now, if you are increasing the cost of your event by a lot to account for
special services, you might think why...

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net