SC - RE. OOP Question for the Australians

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Wed Apr 25 06:29:08 PDT 2001

Oh, but there is a wonderful recipe in the very first SCA cookbook I ever
acquired...it dates 'way back, probably 20 years or so, and was called "How to
Cook Forsoothly".  The book contains a wonderful pea soup that doesn't taste
like the slightly flavored wallpaper paste I've often been served as pea soup.
The recipe is:

2 cups dried split peas
ham bone or other large chunk of salt pork
l large onion, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
1 clove garlic
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. honey
1 tsp. thyme
3 tablespoons bacon grease
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup red wine or more
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. celery salt
sprinkle of pepper or several whole peppercorns
kiebasa or other similar sausage

Soak peas overnight in water.  Measure the water and add enough to make 10
cups.  Simmer the peas with the salt pork or ham bone for 2 1/2 or 3 hours.  Add
the next 3 items and cook for another hour or until the peas are thoroughly
soft.  Strain the soup through a coarse sieve to produce a smooth texture and
remove all lumps from the vegetables. [I usually use my food processor or
blender to get the soup to the smooth, lump-free texture called for].  Add the
remaining ingredients [up to the kielbasa] and simmer until soup reaches desired
consistency and flavor.  Meanwhile, wash the pieces of salt pork until they are
free of any remains of the other ingredients, dice and fry until golden and
crisp on the outside.  Fry the kiebasa and cut in to 1/2 inch slices [I usually
cut up the kielbasa before frying].  Add the salt pork, kielbasa and rendered
grease to the soup just before serving.  Correct the seasonings to taste and
serve.  Makes about 2 quarts.

This is particularly good on a cold, wet evening!

Kiri