SC - "Fake" ypocras

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Apr 25 14:12:16 PDT 2001

'Lainie wrote:

>Ok- if I may backtrack a little-
>
>The reason I'm looking for a 'fake' ypocras or somthing similar is
>because we will be hosting a bardic circle in our camp- but one where
>alcohol is not welcome...
>
>But we would liek to have warm drinks available, to be hospitable and
>help maintain the congenial atmosphere you normally see at a bardic
>fire. Regina has been planning to heat cider, and we were talking about
>ypocras without the kick. Nothing too fancy, just ideas that people will
>enjoy while telling tall tales and singing songs.

Some of the Islamic syrup drinks work well hot, in particular the
lemon syrup and the pomengratate syrup (roughly, in both cases, equal
weight of jucie and sugar cooked down to a syrup which stores without
refrigeration). For hot drinks I generally mix the drink stronger
than I do for cold--perhaps around three or four parts water to
syrup. And all you have to do is heat the water and then mix it in
any pitcher that will take the heat.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook