SC - In need of a documented Rant on "highly spided spoiled food "

micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sat Apr 28 09:08:19 PDT 2001

> I have to agree with this, with the caveat that most
> dried herbs and nearly all spices be kept nearly
> air-tight during this extended storage time.  The
> volatile oils, which usually are the essence of the
> herb or spice, disintegrate upon contact with air, and
> if kept for that length of time, unless, as Ras has
> said, properly stored, they will lose their fragrance
> and flavoring properties.  Some of the harder spices,
> such as the various peppers,nutmegs and cloves, when
> left whole, can survive a good long time on the
> average pantry shelf.  Seeds and pods, also, can
> maintain a degree of volatility when stored
> haphazardly.  However, it is always best to keep them
> as far removed from air, heat and sunlight as
> possible.

I tend to agree with the 3-6 year shelf life (if stored properly).
However, having said that I *personally* would not use 6 year old
cinnamon et al. Or 5 or 4 or 3.

I do stretch my personal standard however for Grains of Paradise,
Cubebs, Galingale etc as these are hard to get and never see the light
of day except when Im cooking with them.

Micaylah