SC - Betony

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Mon Apr 30 22:03:41 PDT 2001

At 19:03 +0000 2001-04-30, Olwen the Odd wrote:

> Hey, did anyone hear about some nursery where one of the "bored" employees
> mislabeled some (eight I think) toxic plants and wrote "tasty in soups and
> stews" on the label?  I heard a quip about it this morning on the way to
> work.  Didn't get much more than that though.

The nursery was in the BC lower mainland (Canada).

According to the story, in a misguided attempt at humour he changed
the printer's proofs of the labels for Wolfsbane/Monkshood/Aconite,
expecting another employee to catch the change (and laugh?) before
it was actually printed.  It didn't get noticed.  18 plants were
shipped with the dangerous printed (i.e. official-looking) labels.

The mistake was spotted by a gardening store last Wednesday and most,
but not all, of the customers have already been located.

Customers were in or near Vancouver (BC), some in Salmon Arm (BC),
and some in Toronto (Ontario).

The employee is suspended pending the outcome of an investigation.

Thorvald