SC - Quick question about eggwhites

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Apr 1 17:51:20 PDT 2001

Balthazar of Blackmoor declared:
> If you can find a copper bowl (buy, borrow or steal)
> this will help speed things along tremendously.  There
> is a chemical (physical?) reaction which takes place
> when albumin is whipped in a copper bowl, and it
> really, really does make a difference.  You will get
> faster aeration and substantially higher volume from
> your egg whites.  Indispinsable when making Angel Food
> cake, in my opinion.

Thanks for the further explantion. After seeing the comment on
specifically using a copper bowl for this in a previous messaage
I was going to ask if there was any real reason to suspect it
mattered whether the bowl was cooper, stainless steel or plastic.

I'm still somewhat dubious, but I think I'll look for a copper
bowl to try this out. I don't make Angel Food cake, but I do
make omelets and scrambled eggs and occasionally other recipes
calling for whipped eggs. Do you think this would be noticable
for omelets or only on more thoroughly whipped eggs?

> Please bear in mind, however, that I do not condone
> theft in any fashion, as the above paragraph may
> indicate.

That's ok Blathazar. Your copper bowls are safe as you are too
far way to make the bother to appropriate yours worth it. :-)

Stefan

(eggs in a copper pot. Hmm. Just how often do you have to polish
this pot? Just what I need, something else that needs polishing...
The constant polishing was the reason I switched from brass to
pewter feastgear)

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net