SC - chicken on a string

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Mon Apr 2 14:23:19 PDT 2001

Was written:

<< A while back on this list someone brought up their favorite idea of
how to roast a chicken. Basically it was to hang a chicken by a string
near the fire and twist the string tight. It would then unwind and
start winding up the other direction and then reverse etc until the
motion slowed down. At which time you wind the string up and start
again. >>

Actually I seem to recall seeing an illustration which does this one better.
Above the item to be suspended and thus roasted is placed a curved vane
which extends into the fire's draught.  The vane, by the force of the rising
heat, causes the rope to twist until the vane passes out of the draught.
The rope then unwinds and places the vane back into the draught again.  A
pan is placed under the meat to be roasted to catch the drippings for
basting and sauce.  If anyone can help me track down the illustration I
would be greatly obligated.  I have also considered the construction of a
period clockwork weight driven spit turner.  If anyone has plans or a source
for them it would be appreciated.

Daniel Raoul