SC - Baklava: A Summary of the evidence

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 4 23:05:53 PDT 2001

Nanna wrote:
>Weren't the Nasreddin stories constantly being added to over the centuries?

Indeed. I have several books of them and some even reference the BBC
radio programs for learning English.

>IIRC, the earliest ones were written down in the late 15th century but later
>on, many stories originally told about other characters were attributed to
>Nasreddin, and some of the stories weren't recorded until the 19th or even
>the 20th century. I´ve never seen a Nasreddin story that carried any
>information on its origin/earliest appearance. So looking at Nasreddin
>stories sounds like pretty poor documentation to me.

Nasruddin stories are definitely not a source of SCA period food
documentation. My understanding is that they originally came from a
Sufi tradition.

Good stories, though. They were big favorites of my daughter when she
was younger.

Anahita