Nasreddin was (SC - Baklava: A Summary of the evidence)

Thu Apr 5 07:27:22 PDT 2001

Nasreddin lived at the height of Sufi influence and is accepted as a Sufi
teacher.  The Nasreddin tales are commentaries on human nature and the
social condition fitting the pattern of Sufi stories.  One of the primary
collectors and translators of the Nasreddin tales was Idries Shah, who until
his death in 1996 was perhaps the foremost teacher of the Sufi way.

The corpus of Nasreddin stories does continue to grow, as when stories
supporting women's rights appeared in Turkey in the early 20th Century.  The
tales are an acceptable way to make social commentary in Islamic countries.

Bear