SC - Re: speaking of peanuts...

Wanda Pease wandapease at bigfoot.com
Sat Apr 7 18:29:18 PDT 2001

The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Food Say that the Peanut (see also Hog Peanut)
is native to South America (Arachis hypogaea).  The Portuguese are said to
have introduced peanuts from Brazil to Africa, the Spanish to the
Philippines and the East.  Other names listed are:  groundnut, mani, monkey
nut, runner peanut, Spanish peanut, Valencia peanut, Virginia peanut.

The goober-pea is indexed back to this same entry (page 1830-1830).

Vigna subterranea (Bambara Groundnut) another legume,  is listed (pg 1726)
as similar to peanuts but no certain derivation is given.  They are also
grown in both Africa and South America, which makes me wonder if they aren't
also South American in origin.

Regina Romsey