SC - Cooking rice for many

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Tue Apr 10 07:12:42 PDT 2001

In a message dated 4/10/2001 2:44:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ddfr at best.com
writes:

> I have a system for cooking large quantities of rice that I am
>  reasonably happy with.

I too have a system for cooking mass quantities of rice, taught to me by the
woman who got me involved in SCA cooking.

I bake the rice. I put one part rice to two parts liquid (water, beef broth,
almond milk, you decide) in a deep rectangular pan, cover with foil and throw
it into the oven first thing, at about the 300-400 degree mark. The rice has
never scorched using this method and it boils and steams the rice fairly
quickly because of the increased surface area exposed to the heat.  After
it's done (I check occasionally, sometimes takes an hour but seldom if ever
more) you can put pans and all into a cooler lined with newspaper and keep
closed. It stays hot enough to blister an unwary hand for hours and can be
served up hot at the right time.

It ain't period I'm sure, but it helps feed the masses.

Corwyn

We need justice. We need toleration, honesty and moral courage. These are
modern virtues without which we cannot hope to control the forces science has
let loose among us. --I.A.R. Wylie