SC - Anti meat sympathies

UlfR parlei-sc at algonet.se
Sat Apr 14 21:27:21 PDT 2001

grizly at mindspring.com <grizly at mindspring.com> [2001.04.15] wrote:

> The only insistance I have noticed in numerous months here is a
> growing insistance to provide vegan or vegetarian foods at our modern
> medieval tables.  While I find it hard to incorporate into my concept
> and understanding of the medieval diet and menues that I study, I most
> heartily agree with providing paying customers foods they can eat.

Depends. Normal vegetarians are reeasonably simple, even if they get a
rather limited subset of what's available. Vegan? I'd tell them to pack
a lunch.

I have far more problems with (working around) the allergics.  Chykens
in hocchee went when I found out that one girl, who is very allergic to
garlic (she'd have to flee the hall when it was served), would attend,
and the two almond allergics means I'll have to play games with some
dishes, or at least make sure the each course contains sufficently many
things that does not contain any. And the guy who'll die if he eats
mushrooms or fish will have to skip the fungees and the cawdel of samoun
(he's apparently allergic to just about everything else as well, but
just gave me the list of things he'll die from; the rest he eats just
about every day anyway).

> nothing on this list like the tongue lashing the one and only vegan
> feast-goer that I have spoken with tried to give me the day of one of
> my feasts.  She was politely ushered to another place to continue
> venting her spleen, and asked to please contact me more than 5 hours
> before my meal to ask special dietary consideration.

Ohh! I'd almost wish that would happen to me. Unfortunately I don't tend
to wear the "I'm not deaf, I'm ignoring you" T-shirt to events.

/UlfR

- --
UlfR                                                 parlei-sc at algonet.se
Win95 - The only virus with a GUI