SC - Anti meat sympathies

N. Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 15 20:58:33 PDT 2001

> Not a source, exactly, but it should be noted that most werewolf legends
> appear to be based on the idea, rightly or wrongly, that wolves _will_
> attack humans when they're starving. I seem to recall reading something
> about this in a book, recently written, about the Little Ice Age of the
> 13th-19th centuries.

Given the credibility due such sources, one of the legends of St.
Francis of Assisi is that he convinced a wolf at Gubbio to stop
attacking the townspeople and their livestock.  As credible an account
as any in that time frame . . . Recounted by Brother Leo (?) in his
biographical notes immediately after the death of Francis.

niccolo difrancesco