SC - special needs

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Apr 16 08:21:40 PDT 2001

- --part1_bc.1336a5f2.280c6804_boundary

In a message dated 4/15/2001 4:16:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rovena at softdisk.com writes:

> You stated that every person should have the option of participating in
> everything.  Is that realistic?  How would a wheelchair  person fight in a
> melee?

There is a Tuchuk who uses a wheelchair who fights regularly in the field
battle at Pennsic.  He has a special "battle chair" which his friends
maneuver for him, and he fights from his knees.  If you have the footage from
the Today show or Amazing America (I forget which) which was shot at Pennsic
about 5 years ago, there is a picture of him in the chair before battle and
being wheeled into the fray as it starts.  At least in the Pennsic rules, and
I believe in the EK rules as well, there is a new one that states
"Wheelchairs may not be used as battering rams"...  There is also, of course,
Sir Keif of Ansteorra, who is missing a leg and fights on two crutches and
one foot.  It is my understanding that he joined the SCA, and was knighted,
after losing his leg.
I am a physical therapist in the mundane world.  You would be amazed (I
constantly am, even after a dozen years in the field) at the things that
people in wheelchairs and with disabilities constantly figure out ways to do.

I think the correct way to word this is that we shouldn't totally exclude the
possibility of someone being able to participate in something just because
a)we don't think he can or b) the current rules don't cover the adaptations
needed.  We should have open minds and try to think of ways to include as
many people as possible, without putting anyone at a level of unacceptable
risk.  It is still likely that some people will not be able to participate in
some activities other than as a knowledgable spectator (and sometimes not
even then), but at least we will have considered the options instead of
dismissing them out of hand.

In a food context, to me, this means making sure that my menus are
sufficiently varied that the same ingredient doesn't show up in more than 1/3
of the dishes served at any given meal, and that my kitchen workers and
myself are as careful as we can be about avoiding cross-contamination and
making sure items are stored and cooked properly.  I don't make "special
portions" for people with allergies or food choices - I design my menus so
that they will have a sufficient meal without me needing to do that at all.

Brangwayna Morgan

- --part1_bc.1336a5f2.280c6804_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 4/15/2001 4:16:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,