SC - earning awards

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 22:19:47 PDT 2001

- --- "R. Del Boccio" <serian at qwest.net> wrote:
> Greetings Balthazar and list,
< snip>

> I am a bit dumbfounded that the merit of an award
> recipient
> should be questioned simply because he or she has a
> disability.

I had a feeling this would happen.  I'm afraid the
reasoning behind my question may have been mistaken
here.  However, I have no desire to further pry at
this rather personal issue, and possibly abrade
anyones feelings.  Let it suffice to say that I,
personally, have given undeserved praise to another
due to a feeling of compassion for their disability or
shortcoming.  As a parent, I do it almost daily :)

Knowing that people, in general, often do things out
of compassion they would not normally do, I had
puzzled over this question for awhile, and finally
decided to ask, point blank, those who knew the
individuals involved.

I will not comment on whether I believe a disability
is cause to suspect a person's merit or worthiness for
praise.  Merely question whether those who *gave* the
award were compelled by something *other* than merit
to give it.

Respectfully,
Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
"The half full glass and the half empty glass both contain the same amount of liquid...the half empty glass, however, has a fly in it."