SC - RE: Special needs

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 17 09:05:14 PDT 2001

>Please don't think me a-trolling when I ask this
>question, and certainly NO disrespect is intended by
>it.

I don't consider it trolling at all and a valid concern.
One, as a Peer and also when Crown, I have to consider.

>However, one must ask whether the praise and rank
>bestowed upon these challenged individuals was rightly
>earned, or given partially out of sympathy and
>encouragement?

I have seen awards granted in some cases because of
a disability or even a limiting factor. I've also seen
"sympathy" awards given. I've seen ladies brought up
for knighthood because "they did pretty good for a girl".
I've seen Court Baronies requested for someone because
they had cancer and people didn't know if they would die
and it would make them feel good. I've seen many others.

Although I agree with Master A that this is a game and
sometimes someone who didn't quite deserve something does
get a sympathy award. I always look to see if they actually
have earned it. I'm a bit of a hardass about awards.

The lady knights I've met wanted the belt and chain not for
being the best woman fighter but strove to be the best fighter.
Sir Kief, the one-legged knight, is a friend of mine and a
formidable fighter. He is a lefty and has lightning fast hands.
As well as being quite strong. When I fight him I give him
no slack. I jump in his face and kill him as fast as I can or
I'll be dead.

I've met fighters in wheelchairs. Some good, some not. I'd like
to see one of them become a knight. But only when he beats other
members of the chiv consistantly. And he wouldn't stand for it
any other way.

I guess the thing I'm saying is that these "handicapped" individuals
don't want to recieve awards because they are handicapped. They
wish merit on it's own behalf and it is an insult to them to do
otherwise.

But for those who may not recieve high awards but continue to strive
over worse adversity than most of us. I will respect their, sometimes
lesser work, more highly. Hey, YOU go paint a picture with your toes!

Yes, they do deserve praise for their work. But awards should come
only from the level of skill required. If a lady with crippled hands
cannot hold a needle but researches embroidery, can tell every stitch,
and teach others how to do it. Can document styles and assists others
in becoming masters, then that lady is a Laurel even if she can't
sew on her own. Mastery of a subject is Mastery.

I'll give high praise for anyone who has overcome adversity to
triumph. Or who even tries hard. Those with less blessings than
others of us do deserve acclaim. But so do others who struggle
with anything they aren't good at and achieve it.

>Baltazar of Blackmoor

Yers,

Gunthar