OT: Storytelling ( was RE: SC - "Fake" ypocras)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 17 16:22:06 PDT 2001

On 17 Apr 01,, Christine Seelye-King wrote:

> 	Lady Brighid told a couple of wonderful stories around our campfire last
> Pennsic, one about a man who was taken by some gods and used poorly, they
> were both wonderful and I would love to know the source of them.  (hint,
> hint)

It was a very small repayment for the marvellous hospitality and
delicious dinner we received at the Meridies encampment.  The
story you mention is the one I tell under the title of "Fergus
MacConal and the Fairy Men of Donegal".  It is my own rendering
of a folk-tale that is probably post-period.  I got it out of some
standard anthology of Irish folk and fairy tales.  You can find the
text of the 19th century version online at:
http://www.louthonline.com/html/letitia_maclintock.html
under the title of "Far Darrig".  I changed the protagonist's name,
and slightly altered the ending so that the punchline is delivered
just as the fairy men disappear.

The gruesome detail of the corpse roasting over the fire delights
children of a certain age.  A 12-year-old boy once told me that it
was the best part of the story, but at another circle, a child of 6 or
7 held her hands over her ears.

As for the other tale, I'm afraid you must remind me what it was
about.  I don't offhand recall which stories I told that night.  It was
one of those lovely bardic circles that are not planned, but simply
happen spontaneously as people are relaxing around a fire.  So
whatever tales I chose were just as unplanned.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
now at a new address: rcmann4 at earthlink.net