SC - awards and Knighthoods

Solstice Studios solstice at moscow.com
Tue Apr 17 17:15:41 PDT 2001

Because there is talk of knighthoods and awards I thought to offer some input from a slightly different aspect.  Some folks on this board are discussing the validity of certain awards, and how
to compare certain equilavancies of those who have gotten awards.  I spent over a decade in the SCA (from florida to Idaho) and also felt this issue of importance.  I am recently in a different
organization and think that they have a pretty neat way of solving that, and thought I'd toss it out into conversation.

In Adria, knighthoods are awarded in multiple areas-- arts and sciences, archery, and ministry (administration) in addition to combat.  This is very different.  What is also different is that
each knighthood area has a concrete objective process that each person must fulfill to reach each level of obtainment, on up to and including the three levels of knighthood in each area.

This is done on a point based system from aparticipation based process. Think of it sort of like merit badges in boy scouts.   Everytime somone teaches, competes, wins a competition, does a
masterwork level arts project, demonstrates their skills, or does a few other related items, they can earn a point. This point fills in the blanks on the 'rolls' forms, (knighthood forms). When
each section is filled, that person has achieved that level of rank.  So every person that is a level X in combat, for example, has completed the same level on their form from their
participation.

This is very objective, and there is an officer (the Minister of Rolls) who does nothing but monitor the rolls points for their paid members and this officer is NOT the crown or ruling noble.
If a member moves, the points goes with them. And when the points add up, they cannot be refused even if the ruling noble has a grudge, or likewise, a person cannot be given the rank without the
points even if they have a friend in "high places".

Another aspect of the multiple knighthoods with objective criteria is that each knighthood is held to be fully equal. A knight who earned their rank in arts and sciences by cooking, embroidery,
or blacksmithing is called Sir or Dame the same way than the person who won their rank in Live Steel combat, or in archery, or in service to the group by holding administrative officers
position. A knight is a knight is a knight. And those who earn rank in multiple areas earn additional titles, for example those who earn knighthoods in three of the four areas are included in a
special national 'order' to recognise their efforts in multple areas.

Also, when war is held, combat is only one aspect of the war. The battle on the field can be won, but that side can loose if their artists do not do their part too in competition. This adds to
the aspect of everyone being valued for their input into the group.

In our particular area this system has worked well for encouraging all folks to share their skills-- especially artists who are eager to share what they learn and try things knowing that they
will be recognized for their work.  Half our combat folks are not only using and fighting live steel, but they are also eagerly working on OTHER knighthoods too, and freely participate in every
area.  In fact, our biggest, 'toughest' fighter is a dang good cook!

We are also working on an additional system of reward that we are calling the Legion of Caerleon. Everytime any member does something extra special-- helping set up all the time, or taking
initiative in organizing activity or something that helps the group-- they get a token. These tokens add up, and certain number equal ranks in the Legion, and membership in the Order with a
title. This to recognize that everytime an individual makes an effort, it helps the whole group grow and learn.

- -Aleska