SC - hardboiled egg food safety guidelines?

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 13:07:53 PDT 2001

- --- Jenne Heise <jenne at mail.browser.net> wrote:
> I'm having trouble finding this information on the
> web: for a dayboard, can we buy and
> hardboil the eggs 7 days ahead of time and store
> them, unpeeled under normal household
> refrigeration until then, and still be within the
> food safety guidelines,

This depends on a number of factors.  If the eggs are
going to be pickled, then you shouldn't have a problem
with them staying "fresh", if that's your concern.  If
you are concerned about the actual State or County
Health Department jumping on you for having boiled
eggs in your refrigerator for more than three days,
then no, you can't do it. At least, not in a
professional kitchen.  I am not sure how the local
laws apply to home cooking intended for public
consumption... I can tell you, in the county in which
I live, any high-protein or otherwise "potentially
hazardous food" has a three day shelf life once it has
been cooked, regardless of whether or not it is still
fresh.  You should call your local health department
to find out the particulars for your area.
Personally, I wouldn't eat an egg which had been
sitting in my fridge for a week, *unless* it was
pickled.

> Oh, and if you don't have a walk-in fridge, how do
> you handle cooling down large amounts
> of soup enough to make it safe to pour into freezer
> containers or put the pot in the
> fridge?

I always place the pan in a deep sink, and place ice
water around it (not so much that the pan floats).
Stir it occasionally, and it will chill down pretty
fast.  Alternately (or in conjunction) you can place
an old plastic bottle, filled with water and frozen,
into the pot and stir it using that.  This will cool
the pot down from the inside, while the ice water
cools it down from the outside.  Just make sure the
bottle is clean, or you'll run the risk of
contaminating your food...

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
"The half full glass and the half empty glass both contain the same amount of liquid...the half empty glass, however, has a fly in it."