SC - OT - Way OOP - "Pie Floaters"

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Sun Apr 22 11:10:01 PDT 2001

At 08:17 -0400 2001-04-22, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
> Susan Laing wrote:
> >
> > It's one of those *cultural* dishes from Down South of Australia (Adelaide
> > or Melbourne???) and my ignorance on the topic was complete until Terry
> > Pratchet's Disc-world book "The Last Continent" was published [and the
> > thought of drowning a perfectly good meat pie in green pea soup still gives
> > me the shudders!!!].

The pie carts in Adelaide serve it that way.  It's no more edible or
inedible than many other strange and uninteresting combinations, such
as the oatmeal meat loaf the Scots call haggis and the ground up
utility beef that the Americans call hamburger.  The meat pies they
use in Adelaide for the pie floaters are pretty ordinary, though more
towards a 'small meal' size than a 'snack' size.

In Adelaide the pie floater is treasured (if that's the right word)
more for having become a cultural icon (if that's the right phrase)
than because it offers any deep culinary delights.

Thorvald
Been there, ate that, got the soup stains