SC - "pan-pudding"

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 21:58:59 PDT 2001

- --- "E. Rain" <raghead at liripipe.com> wrote:
> Balthazar requested the context of my pan pudding
> quote from Florio.
>
> florio cites "A Pan-Pudding" as one of several
> definitions for the word
> soffrito.  (Which seems to have changed meaning
> significantly since his
> time.)
>
> Eden

Hmmnn... The Epicurious Food Dictionary lists the
following for Soffrito:[soh-FREE-toh]
1. The Spanish sofrito  is a sauce made by sautéing
ANNATTO SEEDS in rendered pork fat. The seeds are
removed before chopped onions, green peppers, garlic,
pork and various herbs are cooked in the flavored,
now-red oil until the ingredients are tender and the
mixture is thick. The sauce is used in recipes as
needed. 2. The Italian soffrito  is a similar mixture
(usually chopped celery, green peppers, onions, garlic
and herbs) sautéed in olive oil and used to flavor
soups, sauces and meat dishes.

I was able to find several different references for
Soffrito, all of which seem to be a mixture of
vegetables sauteed in oil, and used as a base for
making sauces or soups.  I believe the Puerto Ricans
use "Achiote" to give their oil a red tinge, as well.

It would seem that the "pan pudding", in this case, is
the ancient Italian version of the mirepoix.  A thick
mixture of sauteed aromatics used as a basis for
other, more complex sauces, reductions or soups.

Hope this helps

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
"The half full glass and the half empty glass both contain the same amount of liquid...the half empty glass, however, has a fly in it."