SC - horseradish root

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 24 07:44:13 PDT 2001

- ------Original Message------
From: Jenne Heise <jenne at mail.browser.net>

> << I do think this is a sauce served warm)  >>
> Why do you think this is a sauce served warm? The recipe specifies
'cool'.

Yes, but is the sauce supposed to cool or the rocks?
- -------------------------------

The rocks.  Here's my translation of this recipe, since it's my redaction
we're discussing, and the exact wording has become an issue:

You must take the parsley and remove the roots, and strip off the leaves
very well and clean it; and grind those leaves a great deal in a mortar; and
after it is well-ground, toast a crustless piece of bread, and soak it in
white vinegar, and grind it with the parsley; and after it is well-ground,
cast a little pepper into the mortar, and mix it well with the parsley and
the bread.  And then cast in honey, which should be melted, in the mortar,
stirring constantly in one direction until the honey incorporates itself
with the sauce in the mortar; and if the sauce should be very thick, thin it
with a little watered vinegar, so that it should not be very sour; and
having done that, take two smooth pebbles from the sea or river, and cast
them in the fire; and when they shall be quite ruddy and red, cast them with
some tongs in the mortar in such a manner that they are extinguished there;
and when all this is done, taste it for flavor.  And make it in such a
manner that it tastes a little of pepper, and a little sweet-sour, and of
parsley; and if any of these things is lacking, temper [the dish] with it.

In the same manner as the parsley, you can also make sauce from the root of
the horseradish.  And the same from the leaves of clary sage.

*****

I've discussed the meaning of "amatar" in a previous post.  The phrase "se
amaten alli", which I have translated as "they are extinguished there"
definitely refers to the rocks/pebbles.

As I see it, the recipes has the following steps:
1. mix sauce
2. heat rocks to glowing
3. throw rocks in sauce (hiss, sizzle, sputter)
4. remove rocks
5. adjust seasoning as necessary

The question is, what kind of gap is there between steps 3 and 4?  How much
do the rocks have to cool before they can be considered "extinguished"?
Since the word used is the same one that is used to describe putting out a
fire, or turning off a light, I think the implication is that it's pretty
instantaneous.  You throw the rocks in, they lose their glow and transfer
their heat to the sauce, and then they are promptly removed.  I think if the
sauce was meant to sit until it had thoroughly cooled, that the recipe would
say so.

But this is my interpretation, based purely on the wording of the recipe.  I
have not tried this particular cooking technique.  Lord Ras' experiments may
give us a clearer answer.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East