SC - SERVERS

micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Tue Apr 24 11:52:26 PDT 2001

> Micaylah,
> I really like that idea.
> Phillipa

Why thank you.

I fail to understand why we feel we need to keep the machinations of our
toil firmly in the kitchen. I WANT Gentles to know that the process is
very long and involved and not just slinging groceries. This appears to
be a common myth with people who dont cook. And indeed I understand
where it comes from as they only see the end result. It is very
difficult to show a work in progress in our chosen passion, so throwing
a little lesson on the table certainly opens a few eyes. We get the
passing nod that yes, doing a feast is difficult work, but most only see
the work done the day of. So if a mistake happens at least they see that
it wasnt as a result of sloppy work or anything I considered substandard
to my own personal level of accomplishment. Because this is food, and
therefore being a one shot deal, one or two slip ups are very hard to
forgive in this Art. In reality the reputation of a Cook can be made or
broke in one fell swoop. You cant go back and rip out the stitches or
reforge it or whatever. Its a pressure that goes with the territory and
one that all Cooks live with. (snipped rant from another list)

Sorry if I came across as ranting, its a hot button of mine. ;}

Micaylah