SC - Weird but cool kitchen gadgets

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Apr 24 14:32:34 PDT 2001

Actually, buttermilk has a much longer tradition, in that it is what is
generally left over after butter is made.  Whole milk containing cream was put
into a churn, which was then cranked or mixed until butter formed.  The liquid
that remained after making the butter was buttermilk.  When I was growing up, we
used to get it from the farm next door.  We'd let it sit for a couple of days in
the frig, allowing it to sour a bit, producing the taste you get from
commercially made buttermilk.

I still have my grandmother's churn, which doesn't resemble the churns you
usually see in pictures.  Instead, it is a cylinder which sits on its side,
approximately a couple of feet in diameter and a foot or foot and a half thick.
There is a wedge-shaped (with the bottom of the wedge sunk into the cylinder)
with a lid.  The milk would be poured into this opening.  Inside were dashers
which were turned by a handle which came out through the center of the
cylinder.  I guess this would be the weird (in modern times) kitchen gadget I
have...along with an antique Korean rice mold, with lovely carved designs on it.

Kiri