SC - Watermelon Pickles

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Apr 24 23:03:53 PDT 2001

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa said:
> > We always figured these were a version of "use everything but the squeal" --
> > you eat the melon and turn the rind into pickles.
>
> Actually, if you look at certain sources, pickled melon may have been the only way
> certain cultures ate melon in period. (Domostroi springs to mind.)

Upon what do you base this statement? Because only pickled melon is
mentioned in the Domeostroi? I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't
have eaten some fresh melon when it was available. Because it probably
doesn't keep very long, I can see where most melon they ate might have
been pickled though. In this case, I think I'd want to see some medical
writing or some such saying that fresh ones weren't good for you.

Unfortunately, we have very little in the way of Russian medieval
sources. Does anyone know if any of those birch(?) bark writings have
ever been published?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net