SC - Re: Wierd Pineapple gadgets

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Apr 25 18:41:59 PDT 2001

Audrey Bergeron-Morin wrote:

> I can't eat the fresh pineapple here. Well I can eat them, but I get a weird
> reaction on my tongue. I guess I'm allergic... I get that with kiwis also.
> But only the ones shipped here. I had no problem with fresh pineapple in
> Costa Rica, at all. I guess it may be something in the fruit that goes away
> when it's ripe, or it's something they use to make it ripen faster, I don't
> know.

I do similar things- kiwi doesn't bother me, but fresh pineapple and I
don't get along. My mouth and tongue breaks out and last time I had some
my throat swelled (bad sign). When I lived in Hawaii they told me there
that there was something to do with an enzyme, as they are picked
unripe, treated for shipping, and treated  again at their destination
(this from folks who worked for Dole). They though it might be the
chemicals I was responding to. I dunno. I can live without fresh
pineapple. But I am still heartbroken that I'm allergic to avocados.
What next- asparagus? Horrors!

'Lainie
sitting at home being miserable with a sore throat that WANDA GAVE ME!