SC - Hazelnuts are Filberts

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 27 09:18:34 PDT 2001

On 27 Apr 01,, Chris Stanifer wrote:

> As for the leaves... no mention of any commercial or
> culinary uses in modern times, though the hulls are
> ground up and sold to industry for use as a cheap
> fuel.
>
> Just thought I'd pass along the results of my limited
> research on the hazelnut...
>
> Balthazar of Blackmoor

The Spanish sources use hazelnuts a fair amount, but I've seen no
mention of the leaves.  Herrera goes into a lot of detail about how
to plant and tend hazelnut trees, and cites another authority that
the branches are good for cask-making.  Nothing on leaves,
though.  (He does comment that toasted ground hazelnuts, drunk
with mead, are good for a persistent cough).

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
now at a new address: rcmann4 at earthlink.net