SC - parma tarts

Jessica Tiffin melisant at iafrica.com
Sun Apr 29 01:44:32 PDT 2001

>"E. Rain" wrote:
>> so I'm wondering, what's the earliest known form of the Parma Tart recipe
>> out there?  I'm currently looking at the version in the Anonimo Toscano
late
>> 14th c. at the same time it also appears in the Anonimo Veneziano, and
in Le
>> Viander de Taillevant, but it is not found in Forme of Cury (or the other
>> manuscripts contained in Cury on englysch).

As Adamantius said, there are two articles on Parmesan Pies in Petit Propos
Culinaires #59 and #61, by Anna Martellotti; the pie seems to consist of
layers of meats, including fowl, in a dough case, with some smaller rolls
or filled pasta included under the main crust. The author finds parallels
in Babylonian recipes (1700 BC), Athenaeus (300BC) and some 12th-century
Arabic dishes, although these are similar constructions which do not have
the same name.  Later versions are not quite as elaborate as earlier ones.

If you'd like to mail me offlist with a postal address, Eden, I'll
photocopy the relevant articles and send them to you.

in service,
JdH

Lady Jehanne de Huguenin (Jessica Tiffin)
Chronicler, Shire of Adamastor, South Africa
http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.