SC - Betony

Ann Sasahara ariann at nmia.com
Sun Apr 29 21:03:10 PDT 2001

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
> Wood betony (Pedicularis canadensis) is a lousewort,  a native of eastern
> North America. Perhaps your local 'white list' prohibits the importation of
> this lovely woodlands plant.
>

>From a tertiary source, betony is described in a period Southern Wales
medical book:

_The Physicians of Myddfai_, 13th c, Carmarthenshire, Wales

These are the virtues of betony:
He who will habituate himself to drink the juice, will escape the
stranguary (urinary tract infection).  If it is boiled in white wine, and
drank, it will cure the colic, and swelling of the stomache.  Pounding it
small, expressing the juice and apply it with a feather to the eye of a
man, will clear and strengthen his sight, and remove specks from his eye.
The juice is also a good thing to drop into the ears of those who are
deaf.

The powder mixed with honey is useful for those who cough and benefit many
diseases of the lungs,  If boiled with leek seed, it will cure the eye,
and brighten as well as strengthen the sight.
__
I also have a tertiary source citation on betony from the _Leech Book of
Bald_, Book 1, Chp LXIII. 10th c. Anglo-Saxon. I assume this means betony
was used as a medicinal herb in pre-Norman Wessex.

Weird historical note: the Leech Book reputes to contain recipes belonging
to Alfred the Great sent to him by the patriach of Jerusalem. (I wonder if
he burned those along with the cakes?)

good night,

Ariann