SC - yogurt Cheese 101?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Apr 29 21:33:50 PDT 2001

Aleska asked:
> I am experimenting with hyogurt cheese for th first time ever. Hanging out on this board is getting me tooooo excited :)  I have started with a large container of non -nonfat plain yogurt. I put it in two layers of cheese cloth and in a strainer overnight in fridge.
>
> Now, I am wondering if anyone else here has played with what must be a introductory and basic cheese making method that I am just now getting into :)  I am wondering what sort of spices and uses folks like to do with this cheese, different lengths of letting it sit, spice before or after?, and what sort of recipes are used for it. Sorry if this is too basic for the experienced folks here.

Interesting. I can't remember any discussion previously on making cheese
this way.

Anyone know if this is a period technique? And another question for us
neophytes, what exactly is yogart? Is it just an already curdled milk
project? If so, then how is it different from cottage cheese? It
certainly *looks* different.

Aleska, you might also find these files in the FOOD section of the
Florilegium useful:
cheese-msg       (152K)  1/ 8/01    Medieval cheese. Recipes.
Cheese-Making-art (30K)  9/29/97    "Cheese Making for the Compleat
Novice" by
                                       Lady Aoife Finn.
cheesecake-msg    (31K)  2/16/00    Medieval cheesecake. Recipes.
cheesemaking-msg  (58K)  2/22/01    Comments and info. on cheesemaking. Recipes.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net