SC - parma tarts

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Apr 29 22:16:08 PDT 2001

Ras replied to me with:
> stefan at texas.net writes:
> << Okay, for those of us who have little idea of what you are talking
> about,...>>
>
> Fishing again? :-)

I'm not sure what you are asking, but I do see the smiley face. I guess
I'm rather confused by what exactly a "parma tart" is or even a
"tart". I currently have files in the Florilegium on "pies-msg",
"fish-pies-msg", "meat-pies-msg" and "fruit-pies". I'm not really
sure where these tarts fit in. And I think I've got other tart
recipes that aren't in the Florilegium because of this same question.
I'd prefer to put these where others will find them if they go looking
for them.

If you were looking for a period tart recipe, would you look in
a "pie" file? Or is there enough differance that you would look
for something like "tarts-msg" first. If the latter case, is there
some way I can easily decide when a recipe is a "tart" and when it
is a "pie"? Not too many of the recipes seem to resemble "Pop-Tarts"
which is my previous experience with "tarts". :-)

>  <<And what is a good definition of a "tart",  >>
>
> This definition is  about as good as any:
>
> tart [2] (noun)
> [Middle English tarte, from Middle French]
> First appeared 15th Century
>  1 : a dish baked in a pastry shell : PIE: as
>    a : a small pie or pastry shell without a top containing jelly, custard,
> or fruit
>    b : a small pie made of pastry folded over a filling
>  2 : PROSTITUTE
>
> >From Merriam-Webster.

Thanks for the definition.

Just an editor trying to make sense and organise a subject he knows
little about.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net