Subject: SC - Re: New Zealand cuisine

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Mon Apr 2 03:10:04 PDT 2001

	Lucrezia, you brought back some wonderful memories for me.  I spent
seven
	months in New Zealand in 1988-89, working and hitchhiking around the
country
	(Cape Reinga to Oban and back!).  Great times for a teenaged Yank;
plenty of
	good food and great beer.  I also made a number of Maori friends, so
	learned to appreciate the fine differences in varieties of kumara,
and
	actually got up the stuff to try kina (sea urchin). Still can't
handle
	Vegemite, though!
	You forgot to mention the ice cream, and pavlova, though.
	Thanks again,
	Vincent
	(can still do the All Blacks haka, given enough beer!)

Oh, I just didn't want to get the Lochacites all riled up when I told you
who really invented Pav...<evil grin>

And yes, New Zealand ice cream is the best in the world as far as I'm
concerned (like most NZ diary products). I never used to bother with the
Haagen Daaz and all those fancy luxury ice creams until I came to the UK,
because even run-of-the-mill NZ ice cream is so excellent. English diary
products aren't bad, just nowhere near as good as NZ - one thing I've
especially noticed is that the milk goes off much faster (!?) and the price
of ordinary cheddar cheese! Wow, I almost had a hernia the first time I saw
it! I lost the Antipodean '1 Kg of cheese a week per household' habit _real_
fast.

I've never had the opportunity to try kina - what did they taste like?
Gotta admit the only time I eat Vegemite is when I have a hangover
(Vegemite/Marmite on toast and a glass of flat Coke - wonderful hangover
cure).

Ciao
Lucrezia

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.