SC - Lefske and Lutefisk Recipes?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Apr 2 17:24:44 PDT 2001

Michael Newton wrote:

> I need a recipe for these so my Sister in KC can see what wonderful ( G)
> food the Norweigan's eat.
>
> Thanks
>
> Thorbjorn

See http://SOAR.Berkeley.EDU/recipes/ethnic/norwegian/recipe4.rec for
lefse recipe

(these appear to be, in turn, nearly identical to Swedish lompe recipes,
except perhaps in size and scored texture; the ones I've made with
Norwegian-American friends are made with potatoes, salt, flour, and oil only).

For lutefisk:

http://www.recipexchange.com/recipexchange_cfmfiles/Recipes.cfm/1353

This appears to have a recipe for both lefse _and_ lutefisk. Actually,
there's a recipe in Sabina Welserin (something like "Dried Cod Bishop
So-and-So's Way") which is nearly identical to a modern lutefisk recipe,
down to the lye soaking (I think Welserin calls for potash, IIRC), the
simmering, and the final saucing with mustard and melted butter.

My only concern is that you seem to be looking for evidence to support
the premise that Norwegian food, or perhaps just these foods, are bad,
which they aren't.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy