SC - Baklava: A Summary of the evidence

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Wed Apr 4 19:40:46 PDT 2001

Cariadoc wrote:

>4. We have an assertion by Hrolf Hrolfsen that "you can easily
>document" baklava by looking at the Mullah Nasrudin stories, but no
>actual evidence,

Weren't the Nasreddin stories constantly being added to over the centuries?
IIRC, the earliest ones were written down in the late 15th century but later
on, many stories originally told about other characters were attributed to
Nasreddin, and some of the stories weren't recorded until the 19th or even
the 20th century. I´ve never seen a Nasreddin story that carried any
information on its origin/earliest appearance. So looking at Nasreddin
stories sounds like pretty poor documentation to me.

Nanna