SC - alergic reactions to foods.

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 10 09:15:03 PDT 2001

>On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Peters, Rise J. wrote:
>
> > We just finished cooking a feast last weekend.  We were very careful not
> > food poison anyone, but I would not stake anybody's life on the question
>of
> > whether a bit of food went astray, or whether a knife or cutting board
>was
> > washed but not sterilized to its pores.
>
>I'm too interested in this. With a well maintained wooden cutting board,
>will washing it in hot (say 60 C) water with normal detergent and a
>brush do?
>
>/UlfR

Although we have many science minded and educated folks on this list who
will probably answer you, here is my opinion.

I have read studies on cutting boards; plastic vs. wood.  The FDA banished
wooden cutting boards from professional kitchens some years back.  Then they
did the testing. (ass backwards as usual) The tests proved that even with
thorough disinfecting the plastic cutting boards showed salmanila.  Wooden
cutting boards showed much less salmanila with just a simple washing and
when wiped with a disinfectant and dried completely the wooden boards showed
no traces of salmanila.  It seems somehow that the wood counteracts the bad
germs and renders them fairly harmless.

That is my two cents.
Olwen who is very glad she never tossed out her wooden boards.