SC - Livyre Puddings (chicken liver pate)

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 12 13:46:08 PDT 2001

> Livyre Puddings (chicken liver pate) - chicken liver, crumbs,
> fat, currants,
> nutmeg [Good Hous-wives Treasurie, 1588] (NOTE: may inadvertently
> contain crumbs of almonds)

I used the one in "To The Queen's Taste," but substituting chicken for pork where appropriate:

"How to make Livering Puddinges.  Take the Liver of a Hogge, and give it three or fower warmes over the fier.  Then either grate or choppe it verye small, and take a little grated bread adn two egges well beaten, whites and all, and Currans, Nutmegges, Pepper, and Salte, and Hogges suet."

(From "The Good Hous-Wives Treasurie", on p.40 of TTQT)

My version (from the redaction):  Boil 7-8 pounds of chicken livers in salted water until cooked.  Drain and puree in a food processor.  Mix with two matzohs, crushed into crumbs, one half-cup fat (margarine or schmaltz), about 5-6 tsp. of nutmeg, 1-2 tsp. ground black pepper, and a cup of currants.  Chill until serving.  (NOTE:  It is fluffier if you prepare while the livers are hot, but this can make it harder to stir.  HOT!!  Also, I left out the eggs, being twitchy about raw eggs.)

                          ---= Morgan