SC - Raw Eggs

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 14 22:08:48 PDT 2001

On 14 Apr 01,, James Prescott wrote:

> Me too.  I may be right off base, but I think it's probably healthy
> in the long term for a person to ingest a bit of mild natural dirt
> and disease with their food.  Keeps the immune system primed and
> ready for when something nasty actually comes along.

This puts me in mind of a poem I read ages ago:

A poem by Arthur Guiterman (1871- 1943)

The Bunny and The Baby and The Prophylactic Pup

The Antiseptic Baby and the Prophylactic Pup
Were playing in the garden when the Bunny gambolled up;
They looked upon the creature with a loathing undisguised;
It wasn't disinfected and it wasn't sterilised.

They said it was microbic and a hotbed of disease;
They steamed it in a vapor of a thousand-odd degrees;
They froze it in a freezer that was cold as banished hope
And washed it in permanganate with carbolated soap.

In sulphurated hydrogen they steeped its wiggly ears;
They trimmed its frisky whiskers with a pair of hard-boiled shears;
They donned their rubber mittens and they took it by the hand
And 'lected it a member of the Fumigated Band.

There's not a micrococcus in the garden where they play;
They bathe in pure iodoform a dozen times a day;
And each imbibes his rations from a hygienic cup
The Bunny and The Baby and The Prophylactic Pup.

Brighid, who has many times tasted cake batter containing raw
eggs, and has lived to tell the tale

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann