SC - special needs OOP

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Mon Apr 16 06:07:17 PDT 2001

> While I more than agree with the principles on site accessibility in the rest of your response to Ras' comment, do you really mean that, in actual practice, the heavy fighters should be required to include the
> wheelchair-mobile in the lists?

They do now... *shrug*

> In my Kingdom, boffers have been turned into a highly regulated and
> regimented operation, complete with Kingdom level officers and all the
> attendant bureaucracy, I believe because one person with a delicate child wanted him to be able to play.

I don't know what kingdom you're in, but in the East, where the Youth
Fighter program started, the Youth Fighter program was started because a
couple of teens wanted to fight. Up to that point there wasn't any
provision for serious youth fighting. The kids (children of non-SCAdians)
recruited some adults to help them put together a program. In the East, I
believe that there are restrictions on kids _in the youth fighter program_
practicing on their own. Ben of the Tulgey Woods, who was the first
pagemaster, can probably give you more information about the original
program and who to contact about it now (ben at browser.net)

> Instead of getting her child a helmet, the PCers took off, and now
>  "playing" with boffers is no longer allowed.  It's all competition
>level, "training to be fighters", helmets, ADULT marshals, etc.  No more
>just playing among 6-yr olds with lengths of plumbing-pipe-insulation
>foam or swimming-pool float foam, which is about the weight and degree of
>stiffness of the old fashioned boffers I recall. > > > > > >

The teen boffers have a pvc pipe core. Six year olds are not eligible to
join in the program in the East-- I am told that they have to be eight.
I've certainly seen kids in the East playing with swimming pool floaties
since the rules for the Youth Fighter Program were enacted. I can put you
in touch with a Youth Marshall in this kingdom if you like.

>  FOOD CONTENT:  youth can be tuaght campfire cooking rather easily and
>at fairly young age, if we take the modern Scouting programs and
>guidleines as a model.  Not as Law, but a starting point to show a way to
>do it.

I'm informed that the EK Page program is looking for instructors for
Pennsic, btw.
- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net