SC - Food safety

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 11:28:45 PDT 2001

- --- micaylah <dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca> wrote:
> I agree that we are taking the "Sterile" issue, as a
> culture, rather too
> far. I have had countless people say to me that they
> cant figure out why
> they get so many colds and flus. Funny enough EVERY
> single one of these
> people use antibacterial soap in the shower, not to
> mention arbitrarily
> quaffing antibiotics at the first sign of a sniffle.

Truth be told, I never take antibiotics, never get a
flu shot, have never been to a hospital (except for a
major back injury) and have only missed two days of
work due to sickness in the last five years.  I also
eat raw or undercooked beef, medium pork, and raw fish
and mollusks.  I eat raw cookie dough, raw eggs, drink
(shudder) tap water, and wash off my cutting boards
and knives with plain old hot, soapy water (no bleach,
Formula 409, or irradiated de-ionized polycarbonated
bromated distilled isotopes, either).

There seems to be a lot of truth behind what this
poster, and others, have said regarding our culture's
obsession with bacteria.  And, I, too, believe that we
are systematically ridding our bodies of the natural
defenses they have established to protect us from
these bacteria and viruses.  A sterile community is
not, necessarily, a healthy community.

This obsession is being propagated on television, as
well.  In particular is a certain chef on the Food
Network (I won't mention names, but she....okay...it's
Sarah Moulton from "Cooking Live").  This woman is
apparently terrified of bacteria, and tries to pass
along that fear to her viewers.  Adding to this fervor
are the countless Lysol and similar product
commercials which depict a home covered in deadly
bacteria, against which their product is the only sure
defense.

The compulsory use of herbicides, fungicides and
pesticides on our crops is doing the same to our plant
life, as well.

But, I digress, and don't want to open up another can
of worms, so I'll stop here.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
"The half full glass and the half empty glass both contain the same amount of liquid...the half empty glass, however, has a fly in it."