SC - awards and Knighthoods

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Wed Apr 18 05:36:16 PDT 2001

Solstice Studios wrote:

> In Adria, knighthoods are awarded in multiple areas-- arts and sciences, archery, and ministry (administration) in addition to combat.

At one time, the BoD considered the concept of referring to Companions of the Laurel and Pelican as Knights...so there would have been three orders of Knighthood:  Knights of the Laurel, Pelican and
Chivalry.  The recipients would have been referred to as "Sir" or "Dame"...or the equivalent in whatever language went with someone's persona.  The reasoning behind this is that the current titles
of "Master", "Mistress" are not period titles for peerages.  Also, all peers would be asked to swear fealty and wear the chain denoting that fealty.  Otherwise, all regalia specific to a particular
Order would remain the same.

Members of the SCA were asked to vote on this idea.  However, unfortunately, the members of the Chivalry seemed to fear that the rest of us were trying to usurp their Order, and were quite vocally
opposed to the change.  Thus, the only thing to emerge from this is that female Laurels and Pelicans now may be referred to as "Dame".  It is my hope that, at some point, this will be again
considered.

> Another aspect of the multiple knighthoods with objective criteria is that each knighthood is held to be fully equal. A knight who earned their rank in arts and sciences by cooking, embroidery,
> or blacksmithing is called Sir or Dame the same way than the person who won their rank in Live Steel combat, or in archery, or in service to the group by holding administrative officers
> position.

According to SCA law/rules, all of the peerage orders are equal...a peer is a peer is a peer.  However, in actual practice, this often differs, though it is getting better.  I believe that the main
reason for this is that the only way to win a Crown is through fighting.  And, unfortunately, this is something I don't ever see changing.  As others have pointed out, trying to do this any other
way is probably too subjective to be a fair process.  There's no doubt when someone knocks you out of a Crown Tourney.

> Also, when war is held, combat is only one aspect of the war. The battle on the field can be won, but that side can loose if their artists do not do their part too in competition. This adds to
> the aspect of everyone being valued for their input into the group.

This also has been tried, but again was found to be too subjective to really be fair.

Good thoughts, though!

Kiri