SC - special needs

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 18 08:57:26 PDT 2001

Rovena wrote:

> I have no physical disabilities other than being 5'2.75".  A friend left me
> allow in the commercial kitchen alone to watch 4 tall pots on a stove.  The
> front pots were fine but I couldn't see in or reach the bottom of the rear
> pots.  One pots burnt just a little (not enough to affect the taste). At first
> she was a bit upset until she watched me trying to deal with the stove.  Then
> she laughed watching me.  I don't think a step ladder or such would have been
> safe as it would put me in danger of the gas flames.
>
> There isn't much moral to this story, just how funny I must have looked trying
> to deal with the stove.

At 5'1", I don't find that all so amusing.  I routinely bring tall friends to do
the stirring, warning them of GRAVE consequences if they slack and let the bottom
burn.  Then I bring a footstool for when I have to do it myself after all.

Apart from stove work, not a lot of food prep really requires standing up.  Much
cutting and processing can be done on an ordinary tabletop.  But the chairbound
are not destined only as galley slaves and turnip peelers, oh nay.  One feast, I
had one lady who couldn't stand up long do up the fanciest Bird-Of-Paradise, a
large roasted fowl dressed up with fruit and vegetables to be transformed into a
fabulous monster.  She did a wonderful job and I made sure she got her kudos for
it!

Selene